Top of page
Global Site Navigation

Student Intranet - My Studies

Local Section Navigation
You are here: Main Content

Study abroad

If you wish to undertake study at an overseas University which does not have a current Exchange Agreement with ECU (check the 'where can I go' webpage for details), you are termed a "Study Abroad" student, rather than an "Exchange" student.

As a Study Abroad student, these are the steps you should take to ensure a successful overseas study experience;

Before you go

  • If you want your overseas study to count towards your ECU degree, please consult your ECU Course Coordinator before you head overseas about the possibility of receiving credit for the units you plan to undertake. If you don't get this approval in advance, you may have to defer your studies at ECU and there is no guarantee of credit for the units you have chosen to complete. We suggest you use the Overseas Study Credit Transfer Form to make this discussion and authorisation process easier.
  • You will need to apply directly to your chosen overseas institution for admission and enrolment into relevant units for one or two semesters.
  • You may be eligible to apply for financial assistance available for ECU students studying overseas. To access these funds, it is essential to obtain credit approval prior to commencing your overseas study. For more information, see our financial assistance webpage.
  • Please note that you are required to pay tuition fees to your host University rather than to ECU during your study abroad period.

On your return

  • You will need to need to provide the Student Hub an academic transcript from your host university on your return to have your pre-approved credits applied to your course.
  • If you do not have a completed and approved Overseas Credit Transfer Form lodged before your travel then on your return you will need to apply for Advanced Standing and provide an academic transcript from your host university.

Please come in to the Student Hub and have a chat to explore your options.


Top frequently asked questions on this topic

Got A Question? Ask Us.

Skip to top of page