Top of page
Global Site Navigation

Student Intranet - My Studies

Local Section Navigation
You are here: Main Content

Visa information

You will need to obtain a student visa to study in another country and only the country you plan to study in can provide up-to-date information about their visa requirements. You may also need to obtain transit or visitors visas for any country(s) you plan on travelling to prior to, during or after your overseas study program. It is essential that you obtain all appropriate visa(s), including transit visas where these are required prior to your departure from Australia. Otherwise, you may be refused entry into a country.

You should contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the country(s) in which you intend to study or visit to obtain information on applying for any appropriate visa(s), including required documentation and visa processing times. Make sure that you provide all required information when applying for any visas as incorrect or missing information WILL delay the processing of your visa application. The Australian Government is unable to intervene in any cases in which an Australian has been refused a visa or denied entry.

There are many different types of visas available. You should ensure that you obtain the correct visa for the purpose of your visit to the destination country. The validity and type of visa issued must be strictly adhered to. Failure to depart the country by the due date may result in a fine and future problems with authorities. In addition, working in a country without the appropriate work permit can land you in trouble with the local authorities and may even result in deportation or jail time. Remember: if there is a problem with your visa, deportation is at YOUR expense.

International students going on exchange must obtain a letter from the ECU Student Hub and present that letter to DIAC 28 days prior to departing Australia. Failure to do so may result in your Australian Student Visa being cancelled. Please contact the ECU Student Hub for more information.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has updated addresses and information of all countries represented in Australia.

Skip to top of page