Top of page
Global Site Navigation

Student Intranet - Support

Local Section Navigation
You are here: Main Content

Who can I talk to about my situation?

ECU encourages all students to seek support. Sexual assault and harassment is not something you have to cope with on your own.

You can decide if, when, and where, you seek help.

International students

If you are an international student and make a report to the University or the police, it will not affect your enrolment at the University or your visa. You are entitled to the same free and confidential support, advice and counselling services as domestic students.

ECU Support

ECU has staff available to support students who have experienced sexual assault or sexual harassment. You do not need to submit a formal report to access this support. ECU will not contact the police without your consent.

Support Services

Student Counselling Service

ECU's Student counselling service offers a confidential counselling and psychological service‚Ä®.

Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5.00pm.

Telephone: (08) 9370 6706 for appointments.

Student Health Services

Visit the Student Health Services page for more information or make an appointment at one of our Medical Centres.

Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

  • Joondalup Campus Telephone: (08) 6304 5618
  • Mount Lawley Campus Telephone: (08) 9370 6814

Student Success

A confidential support service.
Telephone: (08) 6304 2988

ECU Student Guild

Monday to Friday 8.00am - 4.00pm

  • Joondalup Campus
    Location: Building 34.215
    Telephone: (08) 6304 5628
  • Mount Lawley Campus
    Location: Building 12
    Telephone: (08) 9370 6821
  • South West Campus
    Location: Building 7
    Telephone: (08) 9780 7786

University Contact Officers

UCOs provide students and staff with information on equity policies and practices and details of services and support available through ECU.

For a list of Officers, see the University Contact Officer Blackboard page.

ALLY network

An ALLY is a person who is informed about, is sensitive toward and has an understanding of issues faced by LGBTI people. An ALLY affirms the experience and rights of LGBTI persons and chooses to challenge the homophobic and hetero-sexist values of others.

For more information, see our Ally network web page.

Community Support

There are a range of community services available for people who have experienced sexual assault or sexual harassment.

Sexual Assault Resource Centre

SARC provides a 24-hour, seven days a week emergency counselling and medical service in metropolitan Perth.

Telephone: (08) 6458 1828 or 1800 199 888 (free from landline).

National Sexual Assault Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service

1800 RESPECT is a counselling, information and referral service for all Australians. It is open 24-hours a day, seven days a week to support people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse.

Telephone: 1800 737 732


Yorgum provides counselling for Aboriginal children and adults of all ages who have experienced family violence or child sexual abuse.

Monday to Friday 9am-5pm

Telephone: (08) 9218 9477

What should I do if someone I know has experienced sexual assault or sexual harassment?

If someone you know has experienced sexual assault or sexual harassment, they may express a range of emotional and physical symptoms. There is no right or wrong way to react.

You can provide support by:

  • Believing the person – this is extremely important
  • Listening without interrupting
  • Not judging
  • Respecting their decisions
  • Providing details of the services available at ECU and in the community, including how to report the matter.

Helping someone who has disclosed sexual assault or sexual harassment can be confronting and difficult to process emotionally. It is important you acknowledge your feelings and take care of yourself. ECU Counsellors are available for you to debrief and discuss how you are feeling in a confidential, supportive environment.

Skip to top of page