Student Counselling Service
View a video about the ECU Counselling Service.
The ECU Counselling Service provides a free, confidential service to all current ECU students to address any personal issues that impact on your studies. The service offers short to medium-term counselling (6-10 sessions per calendar year).
Our counsellors come from a range of professions and have postgraduate qualifications, skills and experience in helping people with a wide range of personal, psychological and study-related difficulties.
What we do
Counsellors can provide you with emotional support, help you understand the problems you have and assist you to find new solutions and new ways of coping. Sometimes, specialised support or treatment from other agencies may be required. If this needs to happen, your counsellor will discuss a referral with you.
You can talk to an ECU counsellor about anything that is causing you to feel worried or distressed, such as:
- Balancing study, life and work;
- Managing your time effectively;
- Cultural adjustment and living away from home;
- Anxiety and depression;
- Difficulty studying, worrying about achievement, doing presentations and exams; and/or
- Problems in relationships with family, friends and partners.
Some initial tips for managing common student concerns are also available on our Tip Sheets page.
How do I make an appointment?
If you would like to make an appointment on any campus, please contact:
ECU Counselling Service reception
Monday to Friday
(08) 9370 6706
Please note that consent and privacy considerations mean that we must speak directly with you to arrange an appointment. We won’t usually book appointments if another person, such as a friend, lecturer or a family member, calls on your behalf.
Please have a pen and your student number close by as our receptionist will ask you for your details. You will be contacted the day before to confirm your appointment. If you are unable to attend your appointment, please let us know as soon as possible. That way, we can offer the appointment to someone else.
- Top frequently asked questions on this topic
- What support can ECU offer me?
- Can I get an urgent counselling appointment?
- Can I get counselling help after hours?
- I am not coping with my study. Who can help me?
- What counselling services can I access at ECU?
- Can the counselling service help me appeal my resu ....... sion on an assignment or defer an exam?
- Who do I need to contact - a counsellor or a learning advisor?
- Can you help me manage my time better?
- What is the ECU Student Guild?
- Can I get a counselling appointment on any campus?
Got A Question? Ask Us.
- ECU Support Services (PDF File339.3 KB)
- ECU Support ServicesPDF File, (339.3 KB)
- Other Helpful Contacts & Resources (PDF File39.9 KB)
- Other Helpful Contacts & ResourcesPDF File, (39.9 KB)
- thedesk Media Release 2012 (PDF File53.1 KB)
- thedesk Media Release 2012PDF File, (53.1 KB)