Becoming a mentor
Characteristics of a mentor
Peer mentors are trustworthy, committed and enthusiastic students who are a part of the ECU community. They are good communicators who provide support to new students to make them feel welcome and make their transition into university life a little easier. Being a mentor gives you the opportunity to pass on the tricks you have learned about surviving and thriving at ECU.
Being a mentor
What's in it for me?
- The opportunity to help others
- Develop interpersonal and communication skills
- Receive professional development training
- Establish networks with students and ECU staff
- Certificate of Participation for your CV
Mentors are required to:
- Commit to being a mentor for one semester
- Attend and participate in mentor training prior to commencement of semester
- Attend Faculty induction on 'O' day to meet your mentees
- Support mentees in their capacity as a mentor
- Provide accurate and relevant information about the faculty
- Maintain contact with mentees throughout the semester
- Attend Mentor events where possible
- Act as a positive role model
Become a mentor:
For more information on becoming a mentor, please contact the Careers and Leadership Services team at email@example.com or on (08) 6304 5899.