Top of page
Global Site Navigation

Human Resources Service

Local Section Navigation
You are here: Main Content

Injury Management

ECU is committed to providing early injury management intervention and actively encourages the reporting of both work and non-work related injuries and illnesses.  Both work and non-work related injuries and illnesses are managed where they impact on an employee’s ability to perform their role.

Workers' Compensation

The University requires an incident report form to be completed for any injury or disease incurred by employees.

Only University employees are eligible to apply for workers’ compensation. Students (including students on scholarships or receiving stipends), non-ECU paid researchers, visitors and contractors are not eligible.

When the Safety and Employment Relations team are made aware an employee has suffered a work-related injury requiring medical assessment or treatment, contact will be made with the injured employee usually by phone or email. If time off work or medical expenses are likely to occur, workers’ compensation claim documents will be forwarded to the injured employee for their consideration. The SER team will also assist local management with a Return to Work Plan, if required. An injured employee has the right not to proceed with a claim, in which case payment of medical and allied health accounts will be the responsibility of the injured employee.

In order to submit an application for workers’ compensation, the injured employee must return the completed claim forms and provide a Workers’ Compensation First Certificate of Capacity from their treating doctor to support the application.

Completed workers’ compensation paperwork should be returned to ECU Safety and Employment Relations, as soon as practicable. When the prescribed Claim Form and First Certificate of Capacity have been received by ECU a claim for Workers’ Compensation will be submitted to the insurer.


ECU is insured for workers' compensation insurance in Western Australia by GIO. GIO undertake the management of any claim made, including decisions in relation to liability. A copy of the Workers' Compensation Certificate of Currency is located under See Also.

Where University employees are to be located in other states and territories it is important this is recorded with Ascender Pay to ensure adequate insurance coverage. Before any employees are employed outside of Australia ECU Insurance are to be consulted with.

WorkCover WA

WorkCover is the agency responsible for overseeing the workers' compensation system in WA. They provide assistance in relation to the workers' compensation process, as well as dispute resolution services.

For more information, see the WorkCover website.

Non-Work Related Injury and Illness Management

A non-work related injury refers to an illness or injury (including physical, mental or psychological condition) that does not arise out of the course of employment.

A consistent approach is required in managing situations where a non-work related injury:

  • has the potential to impact on the health, safety and welfare of the employee and/or others at work; and/or
  • requires temporary or permanent modification to the employees duties or the way they go about their duties; and/or
  • may result in significant periods of absences; and/or
  • has the potential to inhibit the employee’s ability to fulfil the full requirements of the substantive role and responsibilities.

In accordance with the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984, Workers’ Compensation and Injury management Act 1981 and ECU Collective Agreement, the following principles apply in relation to non-work related injuries and illnesses:

  • An employee is responsible for taking reasonable care to ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves and avoid adversely affecting the health safety and welfare of other employees at work;
  • An employee is responsible for their own health, well-being and ability to perform the duties for which they are employed. This includes taking appropriate steps to address any non-work related health issues they may have/develop, if these impact on their capacity to safely perform the inherent requirements and demands of their position;
  • A employer has the right to request an assessment of the employee’s non-work related injury or health condition where it impacts on their ability to safely perform the inherent requirements and demands of their position; and
  • The employee is to seek medical or other appropriate advice when directed to do so by the employer in the case of an employee having reduced capacity to safely perform the inherent requirements and demands of their position.

Further information

Please contact the Health and Safety team by email or call 6304 2768

Skip to top of page