Important Notice - Travel Plans and COVID-19
ECU has travel insurance cover provided by AIG. If travel plans have changed due to circumstances surrounding Corona virus (COVID-19), you are able to submit a claim to AIG for consideration.
AIG considers COVID-19 to be a “known” circumstance from 2 March 2020. Travel arrangements made prior to 2 March 2020 will be considered by AIG as per their normal claims process. If travel arrangements were made after 2 March 2020, AIG will consider those claims based on the individual circumstances and merits of the claim submitted and the claim may not be settled in full. This is at the discretion of the insurer and is not influenced by ECU.
If you wish to submit a claim for consideration, please complete the travel claim form and include the following:
- Copy of the original travel booking and itinerary
- Reason for cancellation (such as copy of ECU’s email confirming all travel to be suspended; correspondence from conference organiser that event has been cancelled due to COVID-19 etc)
- Confirmation of any reimbursement received from travel provider (Orbit, Airline, Third Party Provider) or, alternatively, confirmation that no refund is available due to cancellation of travel plans
- Outline the amount being claimed
Please ensure the completed claim form is signed. Once complete, scanned copies of all documents, including the claim form, can be sent to email@example.com. ECU will complete the authorisation section at the top of page 2 of the claim form and then submit the claim on behalf of the school, centre or traveller.
Any travel costs paid for by ECU, research grant or government body, must be repaid accordingly. If the claim is accepted, the claim settlement could be paid directly into an ECU bank account. Please email Revenue for details and provide the Flexfield where the funds should be transferred to and the full amount claimed.
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the Insurance team.
ECU maintains comprehensive travel insurance for students and staff.
The travel insurance is a corporate travel policy cover which is limited to a period of 180 days of continuous travel. If you are travelling for longer that the 180 day limit, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.
The Risk and Assurance Services Unit has an assistance guide for any person travelling, with helpful travel hints, which can be downloaded and kept with your travel assistance card.
ECU Students and Staff are covered for most leisure activities that may be undertaken during travel. However, the following activities may not be covered by the travel insurance policy for staff or students:
- Snow skiing – if inexperienced and no training has been provided.
- Helicopter or Deep Snow Skiing.
- Parachuting or Skydiving.
- Rock climbing requiring the use of ropes or guides.
- White water rafting (Grade 4 rapids or higher).
- BASE jumping.
- Professional Sports Activities (where payment is received).
- Racing (unless on foot).
- Open water diving (unless you have an open water diving ticket or are using an accredited diving company).
- Any other dangerous or hazardous activities – if you are unsure, please contact email@example.com for advice.
Travel insurance policy numbers are as follows:
- Students 2600139457
- Staff 2600139456