Top of page
Global Site Navigation

Strategic and Governance Services

Local Section Navigation
You are here: Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions. If you have any questions you think should be included on this page please contact ECU Insurance at

Insurance Certificates or Proof of Insurance

All ECU insurance policies have a Certificate of Currency or Insurance available. For more information, see our Certificate of Currency webpage.


There are a number of things you should consider doing before going on your (overseas) travel.

  • Ensure you have ECU authorisation to be on your trip (so you have insurance cover).
  • Make sure you have all appropriate travel documents and visa/s up-to-date.
  • Take copies of passports, visas, air tickets, credit cards or travellers cheques and leave them with ECU and/or responsible family member or friend.
  • Register your trip with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
  • For more information refer to the Travel Insurance Assistance Guide.
  • ECU Insurance can provide a pre-departure briefing, covering insurance and risk strategies, to any students or staff who are travelling on behalf of ECU. Please contact to arrange a meeting time.

Some medical conditions are covered by a travel insurance policy. If you have an existing condition that requires medication you must make sure you take enough medication for the duration of your trip. You will need to take doctors notes confirming your condition, treatment and medications prescribed. You are not covered if you need more prescribed medication whilst travelling.

If you are unsure if your condition would be covered, or if cover would be reduced, contact

Note that supplying this information to ECU is subject to privacy legislation and will be handled in accordance with that legislation. Details will only be provided to the travel insurer as part of disclosure requirements.

If you need urgent medical assistance whilst traveling, please contact Travel Guard on +60 3 2772 5641 or (24 hours a day, 7 days a week, reverse charge).

Stolen property must be reported to the local police authority (where possible) and you will need to contact AIG Travel Guard on +60 3 2772 5641 or you can submit a claim via AIG's website  If necessary, AIG can arrange for replacement items (such as passports, money, clothing) whilst you are on your trip.

Yes, you are covered for hiring a car. You must take out the hire vehicle insurance cover when hiring a vehicle. The travel insurance policy has a rental vehicle excess waiver – this means you don’t have to "buy down" or "buy out" the excess provided by the hire company, but you still need to purchase the hire vehicle insurance cover.

NOTE: You must have the appropriate license to drive the vehicle you wish to hire. If you are not licensed to drive the vehicle in your home country (ie, Australia), then you are not covered if you hire the vehicle whilst on overseas travel. This is particularly important if hiring motor cycles.

ECU’s travel insurance policy covers any expenses incurred as a result of unforeseen travel delays. These expenses must be reasonable. Cover also applies if you have to cancel your trip due to unforeseen circumstances. Contact if you have any queries.

If you need to return home due to a sick family member, the travel insurance policy provides cover for any reasonable out-of-pocket expenses. The travel policy defines that family member cannot be over 80 years of age and was not suffering an illness or injury prior to you leaving on your trip.

Please urgently contact AIG Travel Guard on +60 3 2772 5641 if you need to make arrangements to return home due to a sick family member.

Cover for all personal items, including electronic equipment, is covered through the travel insurance policy. You must take reasonable care of your personal items (not leaving items unattended in a public place, visible in a locked vehicle, taking electrical equipment as hand luggage on airplanes). Any replacements would be subject to the applicable policy limits and excess.

Student travel

Yes, students can take private travel as part of either a study tour or semester exchange. However, the maximum number of days that can be included is seven (7) days. If you are taking private travel for more than 7 days (can be taken either before or after the study tour or exchange, or both) then you must buy your own travel insurance for your holiday travel. Please refer to Student Mobility on the Student Service Centre home page.

No, weekends or semester breaks are part of the insured travel, provided they occur within the travel period outlined on the Student Travel Approval Form. Some travel activities undertaken during this time may need to be advised to ECU for sign off. Please refer to your Student Advisor.

Some activities are covered if you take part in them whilst you are travelling on a study tour or exchange. Activities that may not be covered include:

  • Sky diving or parachuting
  • BASE jumping
  • Hang Gliding
  • Skiing – unless experienced or receiving instruction
  • Heli-skiing
  • Diving (unless you hold an open water diving certificate and are diving with an accredited diving school)
  • Abseiling or rock climbing using ropes or guides
  • White water rafting – on rapids grade 4 or higher
  • Participating in professional sporting activities (for money) or racing (unless on foot)
  • Riding as a pillion passenger on a motorbike

If you are unsure whether your activity will be covered, please contact

Staff travel

Trips are only covered if they are authorised by ECU and do not exceed 180 days total duration. Please contact if you will be travelling for more than 180 days as you will not have insurance cover through the travel insurance policy.

Yes, the staff travel insurance policy allows for staff members to take holiday travel as part of the authorised ECU travel. The maximum duration of the private travel is up to seven (7) days.

For any Fringe Benefit Tax implications for holiday travel taken as part of a business trip, refer to our ECU travel webpage.

Note that the above does not constitute tax advice and should not be relied upon as such. Contact your authorised tax adviser for further guidance on this issue.

Yes, your family members (spouse/partner, dependent children) are covered under the travel insurance policy if they travel with the ECU staff member.

Please refer to the Finance and Business Service Centre for any Fringe Benefit Tax implications for family members travelling with you as part of a business trip.

Staff travel must be arranged through the Travel Approval System (TAS). If the travel has not been authorised by ECU, travel insurance cover does not apply. Travel Insurance cover is automatic once travel approval has been given or signed off.

For more information, see the ECU travel webpage.

Motor Insurance

ECU insurance policies do not cover staff or student private vehicles that are damaged in ECU car parks.

ECU motor vehicle insurance only covers ECU owned vehicles. Private Vehicles are not covered. If you use your private vehicle to travel on ECU business, please ensure you have appropriate car insurance in place.

Yes, you must purchase comprehensive car insurance cover, including liability, whenever you hire a vehicle. ECU has agreements with certain hire companies for agreed rates. Please refer to the FBSC webpage for information on which companies should be used.

Keep in mind that if you do not take out the car insurance cover through the hire car company, your school or service centre will have to pay for any damage or costs if the hired vehicle is involved in an accident.

Skip to top of page