Top of page
Global Site Navigation

Student Intranet - Money Matters

Local Section Navigation
You are here: Main Content

How to apply

ECU Student Loan - application information

Before applying for an ECU Student Loan please read the information below.

With the aim of assisting you to successfully complete your course and in order to reflect ECU's commitment to improving students' financial situations the University offers interest free loans.

Loans are available for amounts between $500 and $1500.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for an ECU Student Loan, at the time of your application, you must:

  • be a currently enrolled domestic student in an award course at ECU (this includes VET students)
  • be a currently enrolled domestic student in an award or VET course (studying in a bridging or enabling course such a University Preparation Course (UPC) does not entitle a student to apply for a student loan
  • have successfully completed as minimum of 30 credit points towards the completion of your course
  • have at least two semesters of study remaining in your course
  • have a course status of good standing or probation
  • be able to demonstrate that you are making adequate progress towards completing your course
  • have no student debts or encumbrances
  • demonstrate a genuine need
  • meet all of the requirements requested in the application process

In addition to the above eligibility requirements, if you are applying for an ECU Student Loan, you may be required to provide:

  • Information in relation to your current financial position
  • Additional evidence related to the reason for your application (for example: written quotes, invoices, statements, or other documents as requested)

Who is not eligible?

You will be restricted from applying for an ECU Student Loan in the following circumstances:

  • You have previously received a loan whilst studying at ECU which you have defaulted on or not repaid in full in accordance with the loan agreement
  • You have previously received the maximum of 2 loans
  • You are in receipt of funding from other University Sources (for example, if you are in receipt of an accommodation scholarship you may not apply for a loan for accommodation expenses)
  • You have placed yourself in considerable financial hardship (for example, by continued non-payment of debts and expenses)
  • You are unable to provide evidence that you have attempted to gain funds from another source
  • You are an International Student

What attempts to gain funds from another source do I need to make?

In your ECU Student Loan application you will be required to advise ECU of your attempts to gain funding from other sources. Before applying for an ECU Student Loan it is preferred that you attempt to gain funding from agencies within the broader community. There are many organisations who may be able to provide you with funding, in fact, a number of banks and credit unions provide student loans.

What can I use an ECU Student Loan to pay for?

ECU will consider your application for a student loan to assist with the following expenses. Please note that this list is not exhaustive nor does it justify immediate loan approval.

  • University text books and other essential unit related materials
  • Repairs to essential transport (car, motorcycle, bicycle etc), where loss of essential transport would jeopardise your ability to continue your studies
  • Up-front charges related to securing accommodation (eg removal expenses, bond) provided you are not in receipt of other bond assistance
  • Charges for connection of essential services (eg. Electricity, telephone)
  • Medical expenses for essential services that cannot be met via the Medicare or private health rebates schemes
  • Costs related to personal emergencies (eg travel costs)
  • Purchase or repair of basic essential items or utilities (eg fridge, replacement locks, plumbing, electrical, gas)
  • Costs related to seeking employment (eg. resume development)

How do I repay my loan?

You will be required to enter into a loan agreement with ECU. Your loan agreement is interest free and will require you to make regular fortnightly payments and to repay the loan in full within twelve months. Your payments can be made either via Centrepay deductions from your Centrelink allowance/pension OR via direct debit from your nominated bank account.

What happens if I don't keep to my loan agreement?

If for any reason you cannot maintain your payments you MUST contact the Scholarships Office immediately. Your loan agreement is a legally binding document and you must remember that you have made a commitment to repay the ECU Student Loan. If you do not maintain your loan agreement an encumbrance may be placed on your student record and any outstanding loan balance and any additional cost to recover the loan may be referred to a debt collection agency.

When will I be contacted regarding my application?

You will be contacted within two business days of us receiving the supporting documentation for your application. Please ensure that your phone number(s) on your application are correct. If you would prefer us to contact you at a certain time, please include this in the free text areas of your application.

Can I request a review or appeal?

Yes, you can request a review or appeal if your ECU Student Loan application has been declined. A review or appeal must be lodged within ten days of the date of the letter notifying you, your application has been declined.  For further information please refer to the Reviews and appeals page.

How do I apply?

To apply you will need to:

Step 1:Complete the online ECU Student Loan application. If you have any problems, please contact the Scholarships Office.

Step 2:Once you have submitted your completed application, a confirmation page will display, please print this page for your records. This page will show:

  • Your application reference number
  • The time and date your application was submitted
  • A list of supporting documentation that you must provide in order for your application to be assessed

Step 3:Lodge your supporting documentation within five business days of submitting your application. All documents must be submitted at your nearest Student Central. A Student Central staff member will view your documents and make  copies to forward to the Scholarships Office.

If you are an off-campus student who lives outside the Perth/Bunbury metro area you will need to have your documents certified by a Justice of the Peace, before forwarding to the Scholarships Office.

Skip to top of page