An infectious diseases researcher investigating cholera, a lecturer who encourages her students to learn outside of the classroom and a team guiding the next generation of actors were among the winners at Edith Cowan University’s (ECU) Vice-Chancellor’s Staff Excellence Awards.
More than 20 individuals and teams were honoured at the event held on Wednesday, 14 November at the University’s Joondalup Campus.
The awards celebrate staff who demonstrate ECU’s core values of integrity, respect, rational inquiry and personal excellence, and who achieve outstanding outcomes in one of the five award categories.
Vice-Chancellor Professor Steve Chapman congratulated the winners and commended all those who were nominated.
“The awards are a testament of our commitment to recognise and reward staff who exemplify personal excellence in their teaching and research or who are role models of ECU’s values,” Professor Chapman said.
“This year there were 163 staff nominated for individual and group awards – that’s phenomenal.”
Photos from the event are available for download.
The 2018 Vice-Chancellor’s Staff Excellence Award winners are:
Awards in Research
- Excellence in Research by Early Career Researcher - Dr Deirdre Collins, School of Medical and Health Sciences
- Engagement in Research - Professor Lisa Whitehead, School of Nursing and Midwifery and Dr Vahri McKenzie, School of Arts and Humanities
Teaching and Learning
- Engagement in Learning and Teaching - Dr Frances Barbe, Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts
- Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning - Dr Marianne Knaus, School of Education, and Dr Lois Balmer, School of Medical and Health Sciences
- Programs that Enhance Learning - Glenda Linscott and team, Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts
- Sessional Staff - Dr Rina Wong, School of Medical and Health Sciences
- Integrity - Carol Richardson-Dale, Strategic and Governance Services
- Respect - Susan Morrow, Office of Development and Alumni Relations
- Rational Inquiry - Bruno Santarelli, School of Business and Law
- Personal Excellence - Tracey Taraia, Kurongkurl Katitjin and Jo Scardigno, Student Life
- Student Recruitment team, nominated prior to the Service Excellence Changes
- Human Resources Change Team - Service Excellence
Contribution to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Advancement
- Dr Rosemary Saunders, Associate Professor Bev Ewens and Michelle Pedlow, School of Nursing and Midwifery
Outstanding Contribution in Health and Safety Practice
- Associate Professor Sue Reed, Associate Professor Jacques Oosthuizen and Dr Martyn Cross, School of Medical and Health Sciences
- Excellence in Research by Early Career Researcher - Dr Travis Cruickshank, School of Medical and Health Science
- Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning - Dr Kayt Davies and Dr Ross Hollett, School of Arts and Humanities, and Dr John O’Rourke, School of Education
- Integrity - Smita Kulkarni, School of Education
- Respect - Sandra Green, Office of Research and Innovation
- Outstanding Contribution in Health and Safety Practice - Kitiya Dufall, School of Medical and Health Sciences