Travel approval is required for short trips when:
- Overnight accommodation is incurred;
- Travel is more than 50kms from either home or workplace (whichever is the final departure point) and an external (third party provider) expense is incurred; and/or
- When insurance cover is required.
Below are some examples for clarification:
- Domestic travel which involves overnight use of ECU fleet vehicle and accommodation paid for by ECU? Yes, TAS required, accommodation expense incurred.
- Domestic travel which involves overnight use of ECU Fleet vehicle (no accommodation paid for by ECU)? No, TAS not required. However, a Request to Use a University Vehicle form should be approved prior to the travel.
- Domestic travel which involves overnight use of ECU fleet vehicle (no accommodation paid for by ECU), but travel meals are charged to an ECU Corporate Card? Yes, TAS required, as an external (travel meals) expense is incurred.
- Domestic travel in a commercial hire car where more than one staff member is travelling? Yes, each person completes a TAS because the cost is shared.
- Domestic travel in a personal vehicle? No, TAS is not required, however, the use of a personal vehicle must be approved prior to the travel and if claiming cents per km, the staff member must use the Private Motor Vehicle Allowance Claim form.
- Domestic travel which involves train expense only? Yes, TAS required, as an external (train fare) expense is incurred.
When TAS is not required in any of the examples above, but insurance is required to cover personal effects (eg home contents insurance does not cover items away from home), then it would be advisable to receive travel approval via TAS. Please email email@example.com for clarification.