ECU Student Loan
Before applying for an ECU Student Loan please read the information below.
With the aim of assisting you to successfully complete your course and in order to reflect ECU's commitment to improving students' financial situations the University offers interest free loans.
Loans are available for amounts between $500 and $1500.
All loan applications are assessed in accordance with the Management of Student Loans policy.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for an ECU Student Loan, at the time of your application, you must:
- be a currently enrolled domestic student in an award course at ECU (this includes VET students)
- be a currently enrolled domestic student in an award or VET course (studying in a bridging or enabling course such as UniPrep does not entitle a student to apply for a student loan)
- have successfully completed as minimum of 30 credit points towards the completion of your course
- have a course status of good standing or probation
- have no student debts or encumbrances
- demonstrate a genuine need
Who is not eligible?
You will be restricted from applying for an ECU Student Loan in the following circumstances:
- You are an International Student
- You have placed yourself in considerable financial hardship (for example, by continued non-payment of debts and expenses)
- You have previously received the maximum of 2 loans
- You have previously received a loan whilst studying at ECU which you have defaulted on or not repaid in full in accordance with the loan agreement
- You are in receipt of funding from other University Sources (for example, if you are in receipt of an accommodation scholarship you may not apply for a loan for accommodation expenses)
- You are unable to provide evidence that you have attempted to gain funds from another source
What attempts to gain funds from another source do I need to make?
Before applying for an ECU Student Loan, it is preferred that you attempt to gain funding from agencies within the broader community. There are many organisations who may be able to provide you with funding.
What can I use an ECU Student Loan to pay for?
ECU will consider your application for a student loan to assist with the following expenses.
- University text books and other essential unit related materials
- Repairs to essential transport (car, motorcycle, bicycle etc) where loss of the same would jeopardise the student’s ability to continue their studies;
- Up-front charges related to securing accommodation (e.g. removal expenses, bond) provided the applicant is not in receipt of other bond assistance;
- Charges for connection of essential services (e.g. Electricity, telephone);
- Medical expenses for essential services that cannot be met via the Medicare or private health rebates schemes;
- Costs related to personal emergencies (e.g. travel costs);
- Purchase or repair of basic essential items or utilities (e.g. fridge, replacement locks, plumbing, electrical, gas);
- Costs related to seeking employment (e.g. resume development); or
- Essential computer equipment (conditions apply)