Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply for administrator rights for my computer?
- What are the conditions of use relating to my staff computing account?
Please read the ECU Acceptable use of Information Systems (PDF, 51.8KB).
- What is the VPN? What do I need it for? Where can I download the VPN ?
Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- Why can't I connect to my network drive off-campus even though I am logged on via the VPN?
You can try adding ads.ecu.edu.au to the file path.
For example: \\cit-fps-01.ads.ecu.edu.au\Home$\username
- Outlook says 'need password' but when I type in my password the message appears again.
This sometimes occurs after you change your password. If you are on campus, log out then log in again. If this does not work when Outlook opens again, type ADS in front of your username followed by a backslash. For example ADS\username.
- What audio-visual equipment is available in teaching/meeting rooms?
You can find out what is available if you log on to ECUSIS (ECU Spatial Information System) and select 'room enquiry'.
- How do I get a staff computer account?
Your line manager will organise this for you. On the 'Managing Account Access' web page, the 'Application for a computer system account' form can be downloaded.
- What is the process for purchasing new computers/printers/accessories?
Purchasing new computers/printers/accessories.
How do I reset my password?
- If you can remember your previous password: change your password here.
- If you cannot remember your previous password contact the IT Service Desk.
- Where can I download the Multimedia Resources (MMR) calendar?
This calendar is produced by MMR and is colour-coded to clearly show orientation week, exam weeks, semester start dates, and holidays. Download the MMR calendar.
- Where can I find Faculty and School calendars, exam timetables and information regarding important dates?
A selection of calendars and links to important dates, semester and exam timetables are available on our Academic calendar web page.
- Where can I borrow audio-visual equipment?
You can borrow equipment from Multimedia Resources (MMR).
- I have an ECU Dell Latitude 6510 laptop - how can I project the image to a multimedia projector?
Please read our instructions on how to 'clone' the image (PDF, 1.4MB) on your laptop.
- I am a Mac user. How do I access and use the Network Home Drive.
Please download instructions on how to access, store and backup data on your ECU Network Home Drive.
If you have followed the instructions above and still cannot get the equipment working please contact the IT Service Desk