Research training workshops
Our interactive workshops provide you with strategies for a successful research journey, appropriate research design and methodology, timely completion, and effective writing and communication.
Workshops are run across all campuses with the aim of developing the skills and capabilities required to deliver quality research with impact. The program includes regular and annual workshops, as well as special events with guest presenters.
For students who cannot attend on-campus events we provide many of the workshop materials online, including audio recordings and handouts. You can even tune in to some workshops via the internet.
Our SOAR Ambassadors also provide peer-to-peer workshops where they share their own knowledge and experiences of a particular topic in a small group setting. For more information on these sessions, visit the SOAR sessions web page.
To register for a session, go to the workshop link below. You can also check the events calendar for workshops and social events run for research students.
Starting your research journey
- Getting Started as a Research Student
- Getting Started as an International Research Student at ECU
- Reviewing the Literature
- Introduction to EndNote
- Research Ethics and Introduction to STREAM
- Managing Your Research Project for Timely Completion
- Troubleshooting with Research Proposals (FBL and CHS)
- Troubleshooting Your Proposals (FEA Students)
- English as an Additional Language: the ESL Workshop
Designing and undertaking your research - qualitative research
- Introduction to Designing and Managing Qualitative Research
- Qualitative Data Analysis and Introduction to NVivo 9
- NVivo Intermediate
- Focus Groups: Masterclass
- Indepth Interviews: Masterclass
Designing and undertaking your research - quantitative research
- Introduction to Quantitative Research Design and Analysis
- Survey Design
- Introduction to Qualtrics
- Introduction to Statistics using SPSS
- Intermediate Statistics in SPSS
Writing and presenting your research
- Writing Workshop 1 - Introduction to Writing Faults and Document Structure
- Writing Workshop 2 - Bridging the Gap: Presenting Arguments and Stories
- Writing Workshop 3 - Arguing with References including Qualitative Material
- Academic Writing: Paraphrasing and Paragraphing
- Communicating Your Research
- Publishing Your Research
- Completion Masterclass